Free Methodists are people who follow Christ’s teachings. These are explained in the Bible. The Bible is the guide to a satisfying life. Free Methodists earnestly seek to spread His Word throughout the world. They proclaim Christ’s love for all people. The Free Methodist Church is a well-recognized Christian denomination emphasizing holy living.
Historically, the Free Methodist Church was organized at Pekin, New York in 1860. From its beginning the FMC has been a champion for equal rights (especially for women),
In 1860, the “free” in Free Methodist emphasized certain basic freedoms found in the Scriptures. These are the historic freedoms on which our church was founded:
- Human freedom, upholding the right of every person to be free, denying the right of anyone to hold slaves;
- Freedom and simplicity in worship;
- Free seats in church, so the poor will not be kept out or discriminated against (this was an actual practice when the church was formed);
- Freedom and openness in relationships and loyalties so the truth may always be spoken freely (avoiding vows of secrecy);
- Freedom of lay persons to be fully involved at all levels of decision making;
- Freedom from materialism in order to help the poor.
The biblical principles on which these freedoms are based are as important today as ever.