Free Methodists are people who follow Christ’s teachings. These are explained in the Bible. The Bible is the guide to a satisfying life. Free Methodists earnestly seek to spread His Word throughout the world. They proclaim Christ’s love for all people. The Free Methodist Church is a well-recognized Christian denomination emphasizing holy living.
Historically, the Free Methodist Church was organized at Pekin, New York in 1860. From its beginning the FMC has been a champion for equal rights, especially for women, and for welcoming and providing care for the poor.
The “free” in Free Methodist emphasizes certain basic freedoms found in the Scriptures. These freedoms are still the DNA of our church today. They include::
- Freedom of all races to worship together in unity.
- Freedom of women and men to be treated respectfully and use their gifts equally in the church, in the home and in the world.
- Freedom of the poor to be treated with dignity in the church and with justice in the world.
- Freedom of the laity and clergy to be given equal authority and decision-making positions within the church.
- Freedom of the Holy Spirit to inspire our worship.
The biblical principles on which these freedoms are based are as important today as ever.